You have decided to relocate in Luxembourg and you will probably want to
drive. But can you drive with your original driving licence? If not, how to
apply for a local driving licence? Read on to find the answers…
Can you apply for registration or exchange your driving licence? It depends on the country where your driving licence was issued.
1. If you are from an EEA Member State:
If your driving licence was issued by an EEA Member State (the
European Economic Area includes the 28 EU Member States, Iceland, Liechtenstein
and Norway), you can, at any time, exchange or register it at the Société
Nationale de la Circulation Automobile (SNCA), that is the National
Traffic Company. Registration is optional but highly recommended so that the
Luxembourg authorities can quickly issue with a Luxembourg licence if your own
licence is lost or stolen. Exchange is only mandatory in the event of an
offence resulting in the restriction, suspension or cancellation of the licence
or the loss of points.
2. If you are from a non-EEA Member State
If your driving licence was issued by a non-EEA Member State, you
are entitled to use your licence for a period of one year before having it
transcribed, i.e. exchanged against a Luxembourg driving licence.
3. If you are applying for a learner's licence and registering for a
Luxembourg licence the following information will be helpful.
There are several main categories of driving licence & details can be
obtained by visiting the website of the SNCA (www.snca.lu)
To apply for a driving licence for a moped or light motorbike, the driver
must be at least 16 years of age. To apply for a car driving licence, the
driver must be at least 18 years old. A parent or guardian must sign
application forms if the applicant is under 18.
To qualify for any of these licences, a driver must pass two tests:
1. A theory test
2. A road/driving test
Driving practice can only begin once the theory test is successfully
All driver training and preparation must be done through a registered
driving school. An application for a driving licence for any licence category
is made when registering with the driving school that sends the signed
application to the SNCA.
The following is required for application:
1. Medical certificate no more than three months old, provided by a licenced doctor
2. ID photograph
3. Certificate of residence no more than one month old, issued by the town hall
4. Copy of the affidavit issued by the police or from the country of origin if residency period in Luxembourg is under than five years
5. Tax stamp
6. The driving school registration fee The driving school will assist the applicants for the theory and driving tests including any other documents required. In the event of failure, exams can be taken as often as required provided the registration fees is paid and additional training is completed.
The Luxembourg driving license has a period of validity & renewal is required
depending on the category of licence obtained. Documents are also required when
applying for renewal
For any further detailed information, visit the website of the SNCA (www.snca.lu) and, for your administrative procedures online, guichet.lu (www.guichet.public.lu/citoyens/fr/transports-mobilite/index.html)
Looking for a driving school? contact Yann luxembourgexpats.lu/business-listings/cars-motors-and-bicycles/1100000822
I am your contact