August 2023 published - procedure may vary from time-to-time
Luxembourg is an attractive country for working in Europe. The country has high availability of professionals jobs, particularly in finance, legal and IT roles. c. 48% of the entire residents in Luxembourg are non-Luxembourgers. This is well-recognised and the country is welcoming to its expats population.
We here outline the general procedure for securing Luxembourg work-permit for third-country nationals (non-EU nationals). Luxembourg has good resources published to this extent. However, the resources can be overwheling and we therefore aim this to be a good starting point with relevant references. Note that this is a general procedure and might change or be different depending on your individual situation.
The general procedure for non-EU nationals:
1. Get a temporary authorisation (before entering the country)
- procedure for temp authorisation guichet.public.lu/en/organismes/organismes_citoyens/ministere-affaires-etrangeres/direction-immigration-service-etrangers.html
2. Get a long-term visa (type D) (before entering the country)
- This step can be skipped IF "If the non-EU national has a residence permit as a family member of an EU citizen or a valid residence permit issued by another EU Member State, a visa is not required." source: guichet.public.lu/en/citoyens/immigration/plus-3-mois/ressortissant-tiers/demarches-communes/entree-visa.html
3. Arrive in Luxembourg
4. Register in the local commune (after entering the country)
- You need a rental agreement or an electricity bill to do this. Hotel and Airbnb stays are not accepted.
5. Undergo a medical check (after entering the country)
6. Apply for residence permit within 3 months of arrival to Luxembourg (after entering the country)
- At this point you should have done the medical check, registered in the local commune before applying for the residence permit.
- Apply within 3 months of arrival in Luxembourg
- Register to MyGuichet (Luxembourg government portal) myguichet.lu
- Apply online using MyGuichet guichet.public.lu/en/entreprises/ressources-humaines/recrutement/ressortissant-pays-tiers/salarie.html
The above must serve as a good starting point. Don't forge to adapt to your individual situations.
For housing or other types of insurance, you can contact expat friendly insurance agents here: luxembourgexpats.lu/local-business?search=insurance
Luxembourg Expats is founded by expats, for expats with a mission to make life easier in Luxembourg. Register for Free and meet fellow expats with our mobile apps:
Download iOS: apps.apple.com/gb/app/luxembourg-expats/id6450868822
Download Android: play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.luxexpats.luxexpatsmobile
I am your contact